Under the new legislation, adult carers will have a right to Adult Carer Support Plans and young carers will have a right to Young Carer Statements. For more information about young carer’s rights, click here to visit our Young Carers Hub Website.
You can either request an Adult Carer Support Plan or be offered one from 1 April 2018. These replace current carer assessments.
The benefits of having an Adult Carer Support Plan include:
1) An opportunity for you to have a greater input into defining and assessing your own needs, the outcomes you want to achieve and what would help make things easier for you so that you could have a life alongside caring.
2) A right to use the eligibility criteria to determine what level of support you need.
3) A right to receive support for any ‘eligible needs’ you may have and the local authority has a power to support any additional needs you have that do not meet the eligibility criteria.
4) An opportunity to have access to a wider range of services and supports that may not be available without an Adult Carer Support Plan.
5) A right to agree and receive a copy of your Adult Carer Support Plan so you will have a record of what has been agreed and know what to expect. You may also request that a copy of your Support Plan is provided to someone else, and this would normally be provided unless there is a reason we believe this would be inappropriate.
6) A right to have your Adult Carer Support Plan reviewed within an appropriate timescale.
Once you request or accept an offer of an Adult Carer Support Plan, we will normally arrange a mutually suitable time to meet to have an informal chat where you can tell us about you and your caring role. We will ask you to tell us about your own needs, your personal outcomes, and what would help make things easier for you.
You have a right to refuse the offer of an Adult Carer Support Plan if you do not want one for any reason. This does not mean that any support is automatically shut off from you. If you do not want to have an Adult Carer Support Plan but would still like some advice, information and/or support, please contact us. We would be happy to discuss how we may be able to support you further.
For more information about any of the above, please contact us by calling 01738 567076 or by clicking on the contact button at the top of the page and we can discuss this further with you.