Share this page

Travelling Independently

Perth and Kinross Council have a list of services for independent travel that may help support the person you care for and make travelling a little easier.

Below is a breakdown of some these services but to access the full details please visit - 

Public Transport 

National Entitlement Card

If you have a disability and are resident in Scotland you could be entitled to free local and national bus travel. 

The National Entitlement Card application form (NCT001) is available from Council offices and libraries in Perth and Kinross. The NEC offers carers many public services including:

  • Bus pass
  • Library card
  • Leisure membership card
  • Young Scot Card

This card can be used for:

  • free/discounted concessionary travel on public transport
  • library membership
  • health reward initiatives e.g. smoking cessation schemes
  • cashless payment methods to pre-order sheltered housing meals etc.
  • young scot card - allowing young persons to access rewards and discounts

For more information and to apply visit 

You can also obtain an application form by contacting the Customer Service Centre, Tel 01738 475000 or email

Companion Concessionary Card - Bus Pass

If your disability requires you to be accompanied when travelling you can apply for a Companion Concessionary Card. This allows both the eligible person and companion to travel free of charge on the same bus journey.

If you are applying for a Companion Concessionary Card you must produce evidence of eligibility with your application. The Customer Service Centre will forward your application form to the organisation that is responsible for issuing the Entitlement Cards.  It may take up to ten working days for your application form to be processed and for you to be sent your Entitlement Card to your home address.

Transport Scotland has advised Perth & Kinross Council that applicants cannot post their application forms directly back to the Council.

If you have any queries about how to apply for an Entitlement Card, please contact Perth & Kinross Council's Customer Service Centre on 01738 47500 or email

Alternatively, further information is available from Transport Scotland on 0141 2727200 or email


A unique online access guide to a variety of different venues in Perth & Kinross, developed by disabled people for disabled people. It gives free online access to over 1,000 public venues across Perth & Kinross. 

The guide is easy to find and use. Simply visit to search places in Perth and Kinross. A shorter guide booklet can also be prepared for anyone with difficulties accessing the internet.

Thistle Assistance Card

The aim of the Thistle Assistance Card is to help anyone who has difficulty using public transport because of their age, disability or illness. It will quickly and easily tell the bus driver about any extra help you may need during your journey.

How does it work?

  • Your card will have a sticker on it which shows your disability and the help you need i.e. hard of hearing, visually impaired, difficulty with mobility. The card can also tell the driver to let you know once you are at a certain stop, or if he could wait till you’re seated before driving off.
  • When using public transport, show the card to the bus driver, who will then be able to quickly see what you need.
  • On the back of the card, you can add any extra details that you may think will be useful to the bus driver.

To access this service please contact or visit:

  • Puller House on 01738 475000 or email at Address: 35 Kinnoull Street, Perth, PH1 5GD
  • Centre for Inclusive Living on 01738 500001 or email Address: 90 Tay Street, Perth, PH2 8NP

Scot Talk App

The Scot Talk Traveline Scotland app provides comprehensive travel information to help plan your journeys in Scotland - 

Parking and the Blue Badge Scheme 

The Blue Badge scheme is designed to help disabled people who have severe mobility problems lead independent lives by allowing them to park near to a venue and have easier access to the services they want to use. 

Scotland's blue badge scheme for disabled parking was extended in January to cover carers of people with dementia, autism and Down's Syndrome.

For more information please visit - 

Last Modified: 05 April 2018

Your Questions

What benefits am I entitled to?

What is the difference between a Council and a PKAVS support plan?

Who would we contact in a crisis?

Any Questions?

Get help, information and tips from professionals and carers.


We ask for your details just to make sure you are not a robot. We will not share this with anyone else

Click here to make a referral to PKAVS Carers Hub

Online Reminiscence Links For Home Support

During these unprecedented times, a team of sports historians, project volunteers, museum professionals and health professionals are working together to support people who are experiencing social isolation. Through this online network, reminiscence is continuing to be supported, prompting conversations and discussions in households across Scotland

NCO PPE Guide for Carers in Scotland

NCO PPE Guide for Carers in Scotland

Every month
Perth Me Time Carers Support Group
Perth Me Time Carers Support Group
3rd Thursday of the month
Breathe Easy Perthshire
Last Wednesday of every second month
Aberfeldy Social Therapies
Booking is essential

What is the difference between a Council and a PKAVS support plan?

What is the difference between a Council and a PKAVS support plan?