Share this page

Planning for the future and an emergency

Emergency Carers Card

If you are the carer for someone who would be at risk if something were to happen to you or the parent of a child with complex additional support needs, the Carers Card could give you the peace of mind and reassurance that the person who depends on you will be looked after in an emergency situation.

Registration is FREE and will involve giving details of the person cared for plus two emergency keyholders and will operate through the Community Alarm 24 hours a day. Once registered you will be issued a credit sized card with your unique identity number.

In the case of an emergency, the person finding the card would phone the emergency number and quote the identity number. Staff at the Community Alarm scheme would then arrange for one of the emergency keyholders or a member of the mobile responses team to visit the cared for to provide reassurance whilst they organise appropriate care as required.

If you wish to register please complete the form below and send to:

Community Alarm Scheme, Housing and Community Care, Perth and Kinross Council, Beechgrove House, Hillend Road, Perth, PH1 5BG.

To download the form, please click the link below.

Emergency Card Application Form


Planning for the Future:

Planning for the future as a carer is important in case of emergencies or if you are no longer able to look after your cared for. 

Being prepared for the future can provide peace of mind for both the carer and the person they support and ensures that the relevant people have the necessary information to step into your caring role. 

To help with future planning you could request for an Adult Carers Support Plan for you and an 'Assessment of Needs' for the cared for. This makes professionals aware of your caring role if there was an emergency or you were unable to continue caring for the cared for. 

You could also talk with family or close friends and let them know a role they could play to help you if there was an emergency. Share your future plan with professionals and other support networks so that they are aware of what to do if an emergency occurred.

Some issues you may want to consider when thinking about a short-term emergency plan or a long-term future plan include:

  • Who needs to be involved in the planning/discussions and making decisions?
  • Where will the cared for live?
  • Who would you like to offer support, care and friendship to your cared for?
  • Are there any legal, financial or practical arrangements that would need to be put in place i.e. guardianship, power of attorney?
  • What support or services would be needed for the cared for in a change of circumstances?
  • Would you require an up to date ACSP?
  • Who will ensure the cared for's healthcare needs and rights are protected?
  • Who would you like to share this plan with and where will you keep it?

These are just some ideas that you may want to think about in the long-term or in case of an emergency. You do not have to make this plan yourself. Call PKAVS Carers Services for advice or ask a support service you are already in contact with for their help in making these decisions.

You may find the document below useful for more information and advice.

Looking after Someone

What is the difference between a Council and a PKAVS support plan?

What is the difference between a Council and a PKAVS support plan?