Share this page

Coronavirus Advice for Unpaid Carers

Coronavirus Advice for Unpaid Carers

Anyone providing regular support to a vulnerable friend or relative will want to do what they can to protect their own health and that of those they look after during the coronavirus outbreak.

Like everyone, unpaid carers (including young carers) and people being cared for should familiarise themselves with the public health advice on how to protect themselves from infection. As the situation is changing quickly, the guidance may also change, so carers should therefore check regularly to make sure they are following the latest guidance at:

NHS Inform - Coronavirus

Carers who do not already have an emergency plan in place may also want to talk with family and friends about who could take over their caring role if they become ill or need to self-isolate – particularly while social work services are under additional pressure during the coronavirus outbreak. It will also be important to make sure you have key information about the person you care for easily available - so that anyone taking over care has all the information they need.

Where carers and family and friends are unable to provide essential care for someone, they should contact their local social work department. Contact details here: 

Social Work Departments Contact Information

See NHS 24 for advice on coronavirus symptoms; precautions to take; and what to do if you think you may have become ill with coronavirus 

NHS24 Scot

Prevention is better than cure!


 Scottish Government Coronavirus Support for Shielding Vulnerable People 

Details of shielding support for vulnerable people to arrange for food and medicine deliveries, and other support services are available on the Scottish Government website, including details on how you can use the text service to recieve a food parcel if you are in the shielding category.


PKAVS Carers Hub Services

The Carers Hub is still operating to provide you with support throughout the Coronavirus Outbreak. We have changed the way we provide services to best protect our Carers, Service Users, Staff and Volunteers.

We are here to offer you a listening ear, provide information, advice and sign post you to appropriate practical support. This support is available irrespective of whether you are registered as a Carer with PKAVS or not. You can also check our Facebook page (@PKAVSCarersHub) for information and advice. 

Some of our support is being delivered virtually and some through regular contact on days/times and by a contact method that suits our carers best. Where it is safe to do so we are also delivering some support face to face. We are constantly reviewing our services in light of the changes in guidance on best practise throughout this pandemic, and doing everything we can to support our carers in a way which is safe for everyone.

You can contact us

  • By telephone

9am-5pm Monday to Friday on 01738 567076

Evenings and Weekends on 07759058207

  • By Email

  • Facebook



Emergency and Future Planning

In these unprecedented times, it is important to look at the bigger picture and start planning ahead. We do not know what is around the corner and everyone is at risk of contracting Coronavirus. For unpaid carers, this is a risk that we do not want to take. Therefore, it is better that we are prepared as well as staying safe. Having an 'Emergency Plan' in place will provide you with a peace of mind and support you as a carer to plan ahead.

  • What is an emergency plan? It is a written document which lets people know what needs to be done to support the person you care for if you are unable to carry out your caring role at short notice - for example if you are being admitted to hospital or you have a personal incident or accident. An emergency plan is sometimes also called a future plan.
  • Why is an emergency plan important? Having an emergency plan can help to prevent an emergency becoming a crisis. An emergency plan makes sure that all the information and knowledge you carry in your head about the person you care for is written down. This can be shared in an emergency, in order to help support that person. Completing an emergency plan can give you peace of mind and help you feel reassured about what would happen in the event of an emergency.
  • Who should I involve in the emergency plan? Completing an emergency plan can help you to have conversations with your friends and family members about your caring role and provide the opportunity to check if and how they can help in an emergency. Where possible, it is important to discuss the emergency plan with the person you care for to find out their views and wishes.
  • What can I include in an emergency plan? Think about all the care and support that you provide - it can help to think about a typical day. If your caring situation changes a lot over time think about what a good day and a bad day look like. Emergency plans need to include details about the care and support you provide to the person as well as emergency contacts, health needs and preferred routines. It’s also important to think about who needs to have a copy of the plan.

 Watch the Emergency Planning video created by ENABLE Scotland


  • Emergency Plan Toolkit - Having 'Emergency Planning Toolkit' will help you create an emergency plan. By answering ‘Who, What Why, Where and When’, you will be able to plan for any unforeseen circumstances. This toolkit can be developed over a period of time to allow you to complete an emergency plan to support the person you care for. As you work through the toolkit, you will be asked to consider all eventualities and possible solutions. You should involve all relevant family, friends and professionals in this process. Once you have worked through the toolkit you should have enough information to complete your emergency plan (ENABLE Scotland, Emergency planning, viewed 09 April 2020, 

DOWNLOAD YOUR EMERGENCY PLAN TOOLKIT TODAY! (once downloaded, you need to click the 'Enable Editing' to disable the document from a protected view



         For further information on future planning, please click the following links below...

Planning for the future and an emergency

Support for carers in the community

Making an Emergency Plan




Perth and Kinross Council

The Perth and Kinross Council Facebook page will provide local updates for residents of P&K and is worth following.

Perth and Kinross Council - Facebook Page

Perth and Kinross Council also have a new page, providing information for anyone who might need some extra support from their community in the next few weeks and months, and at those who are well and able to offer that support. If you're an individual or part of a community group who could help support the most vulnerable in Perth and Kinross, please get in touch. This page will be updated regularly, so please do check back.




PKC has established a new central helpline number to encourage individuals who are seeking any form of community food support. Community food support is provided by Foodbanks, Community Larders and community groups. Through this helpline, individuals may also be offered with advice about other support that may be available to them. If a referral for community food support is deemed relevant, then details will be forwarded to the organisation concerned to make arrangements in line with their operating hours. The number to call is 0345 30 111 00 and open from Monday - Friday 8:45am - 5pm.

A helpline has been opened to provide advice to Scots who are at high risk from coronavirus and do not have a support network at home. The service is aimed at people who are older, disabled, are pregnant, or who received a flu jab for health reasons. It will connect you to local services which can help provide food and medicine as well as emotional support. The phone number is 0800 111 4000

The Community Care and Crisis Grant provides assistance to people in an emergency situation and may be able to help you if you are struggling to make ends meet during the Coronavirus pandemic. You can contact them on 01738 476 900 (option 2) or email

Alternatively, you can apply online at 

Community Care Grant and Crisis Grant Online Application

For enquiries on Single Person Discount, email or contact 01738 477 430

For Council Tax Reduction or Housing Benefit, email or contact 01738 476 049 or visit:

Council Tax Reduction and Housing Benefit

For general queries on Welfare Rights, email or phone 01738 476 900 (option 1)


Other Organisations Offering Support, Advice and Information

  • Perth Citizens Advice Bureau - any client who would like advice on employment, benefits, consumer etc. should contact their office by phone on 01738 450 580 or email 
    • If you need help to claim Universal Credit, please phone 0800 023 2581
  • Samaritans Perth - 01738 626 666 or 08457 909 090 / 116 123 (general)
  • Coronavirus Helpline for Business - to help small businesses affected by the pandemic. Contact 0300 303 0660 (Monday - Friday from 8:30am - 5:30pm)
  • HMRC Helpline - 0800 015 9559
  • Coronavirus Support in Perthshire - is a Facebook page information and support for people in Perth and Kinross. You need to join the group to be able to see regular updates and information. Visit Coronavirus Support in Perthshire
  • Perthshire Coronavirus Helping Hand - is a Facebook page which was set-up for people who wish to volunteer. if you would like to help out, visit their page at Perthshire Coronavirus Helping Hand
  • Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (RoSPA) - has a great resource on their website for minimising risks at home. Please visit RoSPA
  • Andys Man Club Perth is a peer to peer support group for men over 18 to help them through life. Their Facebook page is for everyone to follow and share to help us challenge the stigmas of mental health and to promote suicide prevention across the whole of the UK. Visit their page @andysmanclubperth
  • Womens Wellbeing Club Perth is a group set up for ladies to meet and talk about mental health issues. In a safe place that is non judgemental and where you can let things out to others. Online support and information is available online by visiting their Facebook page @womenswellbeingclubperth
  • Scottish Families Affected by Alcohol and Drugs - support services are still open for business. There is a helpline, bereavement support and one-to-one support all available online or by phone. Helpline: 08080 10 10 11 Helpline email: Webchat available on their website at
  • Royal Voluntary Service (RVS) - the remit of the service is from PRI only. RVS now picks up from Main Entrance, take home and ensure alls well with the patient.  A follow-up call a couple of days later to see that all is ok and the patient is managing.  Particular emphasis is on how are they organising their shopping, prescriptions and if they fancy/need telephone befriending. If assistance is required ie Shop Drop (SDrop)/Prescriptions/TBF we ask they call the office where some basic information is taken and the service is then coordinated.  If the following week they still need a prescription collected and dropped off or shopping done for them, they just call again. All services are completed adhering to social distancing regulations and all drivers have hand sanitizers/masks and have read the CV19 literature.  If its telephone befriending they are after, it will go on the list for a call every week. If you need any further assistance/information call Jayne Bird on 01738 633975 or email

Emergency Contact Numbers

  • Fire/Police/Ambulance - 999
  • Social Work Access Team and after hours number - 0345 30 111 20
  • Access Team can be used to call if you are concerned about neglect or abuse of a vulnerable adult) - 0845 30 111 20
  • NHS24 - 111PRI Direct - 01738 623311
    • If anyone is in a mental health crisis they need to call their own GP or call 111
  • Ninewells Hospital - 01382 660111
  • Murray Royal Hospital - 01738 621151
  • Community Mental Health Teams (for individuals in crisis age 16-64)

Perth City – 01738 413070

South Perthshire Locality (Crieff/Kinross) – 01764 657120

North Perthshire Locality (Blairgowrie/Pitlochry) – 01828 626000

  • Older peoples community Mental Health teams (over 65)

North Perthshire Team – 01796 474818

South Perthshire Team – 01764 653173

Strathmore Team – 01250 877843

Perth City Team – 01738 414564

  • Pharmacies - call your local GP to find out where your prescription is
  • Alzheimer's Scotland 24-hour Support Line - 0300 222 1122
  • Men's Aid Safe Line for men who are suffering from domestic abuse - 0808 800 5005


 Updated on: 15/01/2021

Social Prescribing in Perth and Kinross

Would you like to know more about the options and opportunities available to you in the local area?

PKAVS Carers Hub Newsletter Summer 2021

Within our newsletter, we hope that you will find useful contacts, information, and details of support available for Carers within Perth & Kinross and further afield.

What is the difference between a Council and a PKAVS support plan?

What is the difference between a Council and a PKAVS support plan?